Saturday, July 28, 2012

New Music Review: Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being





I want to start by saying that I'm a huge fan of Lil' Wayne's music. Even his attempt at a more rock oriented album, "Rebirth", was an interesting change. I also enjoyed the fact that on the new EP he isn’t using autotune. Truth be told though, "IANAHB" isn't the Wayne I've come to love. It starts out with a really odd collaboration with Drake called "Gonorrhea" (Also known to some as "The Clap"). I had hoped the title was just a joke, but the entire song really is Wayne basically saying he doesn't want the STD. The album is full of standard rap clichés of sex, violence, and insane bravado, something that while not fully unexpected, detracts from the album greatly because you can’t even look at it as being catchy or powerful. Even for an EP, this seems weak for Weezy. The main problem is that while EP’s are rarely as good as a full album, this particular disc boasts thirteen tracks and is being treated like an actual album for the return of Wayne. Don’t get me wrong, the title track (4) and “Right Above It” (7) are actually pretty good, as well as random bits of a few other tracks, but it’s hard to find a full track with true potential. I never thought my first bad review of the season would be on a Lil’ Wayne album, but the fact is the new EP isn‘t as strong as previous releases and sounds like a beginner more than the pro I know he is. If he continues this way I’m sure he’ll still have fans, but he’ll lose many of his current ones. On the basis of it being Wayne, I’d give it about 2 ½ stars. If you get the album buy the physical copy so you can get the three tracks not available for download, which do actually make up greatly for some of the worse tracks on the album. I’ll always support Wayne’s music, but in this case I must advise you to approach with caution. Despite this, I still believe Weezy may have just hit a slump, and I'm looking forward to "Tha Carter IV" set to release next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment