Saturday, July 28, 2012

New Music Review: P.O.D. - "Murdered Love"


4/5 Stars

         I always look forward to P.O.D.'s music, they have a good mix of positive messages and upbeat rock/ rap without ignoring the fact that life isn't perfect all the time. "Murdered Love" also continues the tradition of being  blatantly and unabashedly honest about the band's beliefs. They love God and aren't ashamed to say so, something many mainstream bands, Christian or otherwise seem to be afraid of admitting. This tactic doesn't make the album feel "preachy" or like the band is trying to convert anyone, but for those needing the message, it is a good reminder. The majority of the songs on the album are fairly hard-hitting and some have already been used at sporting events, but there are also a couple softer tracks so it doesn't feel like too much either way. I do have two frustrations with the album. First, while the band did not release a special edition they did fall into the pattern of many others lately, and released two extra tracks exclusive to other countries, making it difficult for the fans to gain access to them at the moment unless the band releases them as singles, or the fans go the more likely route (unfortunately), and pirate them. The second is actually something I never expected to deal with on a P.O.D. album, swearing. To explain, the language is restricted to the last track on the album "I Am", which is sung from the perspective of the "sinner" or "downtrodden" searching for something more than what they have chosen or been given by life. I actually "rewound" the song a few times because I couldn't believe what I was hearing was accurate. Specifically, the chorus is this: 

"Are you the one that's come to set me free? 'Cause if you knew who I am, would you really want to die for me? They say you are the cursed man, the one who hangs from this tree, but I know this is ("you are" in the final chorus) the one and only son of GOD, but tell me, who the f**k is he?"

         The F-bomb IS reversed so the word is never clearly heard, and makes a well received point, but it does make the song a bit less family friendly. The terms "bastard" and "fa***t" are also included in the song unedited, and just as with the term earlier their usage makes a good point in the context, but I do think it creates a problem in this case. Up until this point, the album is a solid piece of work, and frankly even this track is one of my favorites based around the message overall, but I believe it will hurt their interaction with more faith-driven fans. Back in 2003 the band released their self titled album and it was actually boycotted, and banned from many Christian retailers because of the album art:


         I have a feeling this album is going to be banned a LOT faster because of this choice. I've gotten into plenty of bands over the years that swear, but in this case it makes me sad to see them go this way. Whether they feel they're a "Christian band", or just "Christians in a band", this still goes away from the image they have worked so long to portray. The album is still impressive and worth a listen if you can move past that, but it is a big stumble for P.O.D., earning it a 4/5 stars for the sake of this review.

         On a personal note, I still love the album, and it may very well be one of the best ones you've released, but my respect for the band has been damaged. I grew up on you guys in large part, and you inspired a lot of my musical interests and even helped me in my faith when I was in a dark place. You guys have always been one of my favorite bands, and I expected you to stay in that place for me, but if things keep going in this direction I'm not sure I'll be listening anymore. This was very unexpected and I hope gets cleared up by the next album. Much love to you all, and I hope you come back to your old message soon. God Bless.

"We're not out there to be some huge Christian rock band. But we're not out there to deny our faith, either! We're not out there to rock the masses, we're not rock stars, dude. We're just guys in a band. So take it as it is. But don't forget where your joy lies man... not in rock n' roll." - Sonny Sandoval

- Nick Mangieri (KMA)

Tracklist:

1. Eyez (Feat. Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed)
2. Murdered Love (Feat. Sick Jacken of Psycho Realm)
3. Higher
4. Lost in Forever (Scream)
5. West Coast Rock Steady (Feat. Sen Dog of Cypress Hill)
6. Beautiful
7. Babylon the Murderer
8. On Fire
9. Bad Boy
10. Panic & Run
11. I Am

iTunes Exclusive:

12. Lost in Forever (Scream), Music Video
13. Lost in Forever (Scream), Making of the Video

European Exclusive:

12. Burn Down Rome

Japan Exclusive:

12. Find a Way

No comments:

Post a Comment